The history of Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church, Guttenberg, IA dates back to 1932.
In May 1932 two lots were purchased where the church building and parsonage now
stand. The worship services were conducted in the original parsonage until the church
building was completed. The first floor was used as the church proper and the second
floor was the living quarters for the Pastor and his family. One Gottesdienst (The Divine
Service in German) was conducted once a month. On April 1, 1937, ground for the new
church was broken and the new structure was ready in August 1937. The building was
paid for by its members at a cost of $6500. There have been continuous improvements
to the church building and parsonage throughout the years. In 1962 the church
basement was remodeled and a new parsonage was constructed. A new organ was
installed in 1970. In 1971 Trinity joined St. Paul of McGregor in a dual parish. In 1992 Trinity dedicated a new addition to the worship facility to include a larger narthex, and expanded basement for fellowship and education, a ramp for persons with special needs, and new carpet throughout the church. In 2005 a new organ was installed and in 2006 an office addition was constructed and an area called the “Garden of Peace” was created. A new church sign which was hand crafted by member, Lyle Torrey was erected in 2007.
The Sacrament of the Altar has been celebrated each Lord’s Day since 2005 which was the same year that a processional crucifix was donated. Many of the members are active in Bible Class as well as other activities within the church. Trinity also has an active women’s group called Trinity’s Ladies Aid which was organized in December 1936.
Members have enjoyed a number of celebrations during the past few years. In 1987, the membership observed the 50th Anniversary of the construction of the present church building. Rev. Roland Jank, Sr. delivered the sermon for that occasion. In 1997, the congregation celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Missouri Synod with a potluck dinner followed by a special service by Rev. Gregory Eilers and games reflective of the times 150 years ago. For its 75th anniversary Trinity was honored to have three pastors preach throughout the year, Rev. Lloyd Helland, Rev. Mark Brase and Rev. Mark Willig.
Since 1932, Trinity has had twelve pastors: Rev. Martin Peters (1932); Rev. Theo Frese (1942); Rev. William Reitz (1952); Rev. Wm. Thurber(1959); Rev. Otto Schultz (1962); Rev. Roland Jank, Sr.( 1971); Rev. David McKnight (1979); Rev. Mark Willig (1983); Rev. Lloyd Helland (1990); Rev. Gregory Eilers (1996); Rev. Richard von Steinman(2002); Rev. David C. Zimmer (2004); and our present Pastor, Rev. Andrew J Preus who was Ordained and Installed August 3, 2014.